Thursday 6 August 2020

Windows 10 Update nightmare

Well another Windows update nightmare, on Monday I spent a total of 5 hours trying to figure out how to make my drive boot again - everything was fine but following Windows updates my PC had decided there was no operating system to boot. Now I have a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 boot option, Windows 7 doesn't work but it's there but I have managed to get the default to Windows 10 and 30 seconds in it will boot. Ever since my PC has not wanted to shutdown like it used to, it always says "getting windows ready" as it threatening to screw me over with another update and then shuts down. Today I logged in but the desktop hung - everything that was Windows worked as normal, Windows didnt want to play ball at all, no chance to restart the windows explorer process because windows was hung. I did manage to convince it to shutdown but it restarted the window state I had just left, then it logged me off and then rebooted again, a ghost in the machine, and every since I have no toolbar short cuts - I had toolbars configured but for the life of me I cannot find them again, it's taken me an hour to find where it stored them because inspite of the content just being links a windows search doesn't find them. Come on Microsoft this is just painful. Why a blog post and not reported to Microsoft? Have you tried reporting anything to Microsoft?