Saturday 8 February 2020

500px...is it over?

A few years back 500px.com burst onto the scene as a site for photographers to share their pictures, like so many sites but with a new, fresh look. There is a bit of a community spirit and people share and support each others photos.

I like having a place to display by pictures and there is an interesting model to promote the best photos (notably none of mine but the quality is stunning).

However, I have placed a number of photos for licensing. Indeed I have managed to sell 3 to date... For the princely total of $0.19, for all 3. The last one I checked was for sale through Getty at a minimum of $50, for which I received 3c. Well actually I haven't received anything as my efforts are miles away from the minimum pay out.

I did raise with 500px how I could receive so little but they were unable to explain how minimum $59 list price boils down to only 3c to me but did end with what amounted to "if you don't like it you don't have to license your images through us" in language distinctly expressing a lack of interest.

All images duly unlicensed. 

Will it make any difference. No not really, I am not making any money and my images really aren't up there with the best, I am just hopeful that one day I might be able to contribute to the cost of my gear. That said, I have read posts from some of the bigger players and it isn't just me.