Friday 22 December 2017

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Microsoft's Windows 10 Fall Creators Update dropped onto my PC last night.

I was entirely unaware it was coming until my PC churned for an hour.

What improvements are there?

Do alerts such as Outlook appointments pop to the top like Windows XP and previous versions? No.
Is it possible to open a 2nd password protected spreadsheet without clicking back on the first sheet first like Windows 7 ? No.

Can I connect my phone to Windows using a 2nd rate browser that has reported battery consumption issues? Yes.

Come on Microsoft, deliver updates that are useful.

More importantly test your software properly first.

Power Budy :dead
Avast Anti-Virus : dead
Genie TimeLine : dead
SQL Server VSS Writer (a Microsoft product for pete's sake) : dead
OnePlus drivers : lost

Plenty of people are reporting issues, Power Buddy has been updated, Avast has been updated.

After multiple uninstalls of random bits of Visual C++ redistributable the SQL Server VSS Writer has sprung back into life but no idea which one worked as was randomly pressing buttons.

Lightroom? Nothing, I get a "Could not call C function: private_load_agCoreTech" error. Many people have this issue and I'm not the only one that the fixes do not work for (Visual C++ redistributables & replacement DLLs).

Who to call for support? Well it turns out that it is impossible to talk to a person for less than 13p a minute or use online chat for lightroom - it's down to community forums which are not actual support. I have tried updating the product to the latest release and tried installing the brand new CC Classic product but both have the same problem.

I did manage to get a call back from Microsoft who announced not their problem because Adobe should have made the product work properly, they could however help me roll back and turn off updates entirely.

So completely useless support system and once again inadequate testing - I can accept that a small vendor like Genie9 has a product that has died (disappointing though that is) but a major provider.

Oh well I was looking for an Adobe replacement anyway - I hate them all but if they work then that's the answer.