Thursday 3 November 2011

the three musketeers

This is what it is all about, Adrian, one for you!

I have been to see The Three Musketeers and without a doubt there will be disagreement with my opinion.

It was great - there I said it, inspite of only 6 stars on imdb and the local rag giving it only a couple it was great, goodbye herd hello some "facts"

Yes, it is the same 3 musketeers story you've seen before - notably that with Michael York, Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch and a host of other greats.

Yes, it is historically accurate, france existed, there were blokes running around with guns and swords, history tick.

Yes, it was in 3d. I've seen my fill of 3d films over the last couple of years and I can safely say I am unimpressed, I didn't want to see this is 3d but our local cinema doesn't show it during peak hours any other way. What's wrong with 3d, well it does work nowadays but being a glasses wearer two pairs is not a fashion statement to be made. I saw Clash of the Titans in 3d and can safely say a terrible film is not rescued (there's another one for you Adrian). I saw Thor in 3d, not a bad film (on the fence there chap, it has Natalie Portman so I can't fault it really) but I go sick of the glasses and discovered that only some parts of the film had been recorded in 3d. So 3d for this film, well, it worked, it seems to have been used gently pretty much throughout the film and been used effectively without excessive flying into your face effects.

The film itself was good entertainment with the expected humour and action and James Corden makes a remarkably good effort at Planchet. English accents abound for the musketeers but not being French myself (yes this side of the channel) I don't see the problem there. Air ships, no problem there either, why not. Orlando Bloom as Buckingham, blooming brilliant.

All I can say now is that I assume Adrian will hate it with a passion.