Wednesday 17 February 2010

Robocopy & UAC

One of the most annoying things about Vista & Windows 7 is User Access Control (UAC), all those pop up messages trying to stop me doing what I want to do whilst letting naughty software continue as it pleases. I figure it is worth leaving enabled just in case it helps one day.

However, that leaves me with one major annoyance and that is my ability to just run robocopy.

Well, I've found a fix it seems - I've been looking for a while and there seems to be no single answer that actually works but now I've got something. It's cheating a bit because it's working on the assumption that the user you are running as is an Administrator (you are doing backups so seems reasonable)

Create your robocopy batch file and then create a shortcut to the batch file and goto the properties of the shortcut, select "Advanced" and tick "Run As Administrator".

Now go into gpedit.msc and browse to Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options, you will find at the end of the list of settings in the right hand pane a number of UAC settings, mine are now :

You'll need to reboot after making any changes to the group policy.